Psychoactive Research chemicals are new synthetic substances that are structurally similar to the original drug, while being functional analogs. Research on the effects of, and treatment for, abuse of these drugs is limited due to the fact that they’re fairly new and have avoided mainstream notice. Research chemicals do not have a lot of human consumption data, and thus harm-reduction and special care should be taken if choosing to ingest them.
Psychedelics are drugs which cause profound changes in a one’s perceptions of reality, otherwise known as hallucinations. While under the influence of hallucinogens, users might see images, hear sounds or feel sensations. These chemicals offer some of the most intense psychological experiences and care should be taken when ingesting them.
Disclaimer: Psychedelic drugs offer some of the most power and intense psychological experiences. Additionally these substances are illegal in many places. We understand that even though these substances are illegal, their use occurs frequently. We do not condone breaking of the law. By providing accurate information about these substances, we encourage the user to make responsible decisions and practice harm reduction.
Practice Harm Reduction. Proceed with Caution.
Also known as:
propylphenyl)ethana[German][ACD/IUPAC Name] min
propylphenyl)ethana[ACD/IUPAC Name] mine
propylphényl)éthana[French][ACD/IUPAC Name] mine
2,5-dimethoxy-4-pro[ACD/Index Name] pyl-
- phenethylamine, 2,5
A synthetic phenylethlyamine that is sometimes compared in effects to 2C-E, yet with a much longer duration. With a much more pronouced bodyload. Is one of the most potent of the 2C-X series.
2C-P is a relatively obscure member of the 2C-x family of psychedelic phenethylamines and is one of the most potent, long-lasting, and dose-sensitive of the series. 2C-P was first synthesized and tested for human activity by Alexander Shulgin, who documented his findings in the 1991 book PiHKAL ("Phenethylamines I Have Known and Loved"). The reports found in the 2C-P PiHKAL entry remark on its depth and long onset and duration of action, with the commentary section describing 16 mg as a clear overdose with "physical consequences.
" The commentary also notes the small window separating an adequate dose from an excessive dose, suggesting it is relatively easy to overdose on. User reports following the publication of PiHKAL tend to characterize the effects of 2C-P in terms of its unusually long duration, powerful, sometimes overwhelming visuals, and intense “body load” (such as persisting nausea, muscle tension and general bodily discomfort). 2C-P’s head space and visuals have been described as possessing more similarities to alkylated 2C’s like 2C-E than halogenated members like 2C-B or 2C-I.
Some reports suggest it may be easier to experience agitation and delirium on 2C-P than other 2C’s, perhaps owing to the ease in which it can be mishandled. As a result, it is considered to have a relatively questionable safety profile for a psychedelic. Due its powerful effects and unusually long duration, 2C-P may be overly intense and difficult to use safely for those who are not already experienced with hallucinogens.
It is strongly advised to use harm reduction practices if using this substance. Dosing practices like “eye-balling” (i. e.
using the naked eye instead of a reliable milligram scale) or non-oral routes of administration should especially be avoided. Volumetric liquid dosing is commonly recommended when dealing with substances of this potency.
2C-P contains methoxy functional groups CH3O- attached to carbons R2 and R5 and a propyl chain attached to carbon R4 of the phenyl ring.
2C-P belongs to the 2C family of phenethylamines which contain methoxy groups on the 2 and 5 positions of the benzene ring.
|Avg. Mass||223.3113 Da|
|Monoisotopic Mass||223.157227 Da|
Interactions and Synergies
- The 5-MeO psychedelics can interact unpredictably to potentiate other psychedelics
- Cannabis has an unexpectedly strong and somewhat unpredictable synergy with psychedelics.
- The anxiogenic and focusing effects of stimulants increase the chance of unpleasant thought loops. The combination is generally uneccessary because of the stimulating effects of psychedelics. Combination of the stimulating effects may be uncomfortable.
- The anxiogenic and focusing effects of stimulants increase the chance of unpleasant thought loops. The combination is generally unnecessary because of the stimulating effects of psychedelics. Combination of the stimulating effects may be uncomfortable.
- MAO-B inhibitors can increase the potency and duration of phenethylamines unpredictably
- Tramadol is well known to lower seizure threshold and psychedelics raise the risk of seizures.
|Effects||Euphoria, Giggling, Empathy, Insight, Brightened Colors, Closed/Open Eye Visuals, Enhanced Tactile-Sensation, Mental/Physical Stimulation, Decreased Appetite, Pupil-Dilation, Restlessness, Changes in Perception-Of-Time, Ego-Softening, Nausea, Sweating/Chills, Muscle-Tension, Confusion, Insomnia|
|Marguis Test Result|
2C-P’s psychedelic effects are believed to come from its efficacy at the 5-HT2A receptor as a partial agonist. However, the role of these interactions and how it results in the psychedelic experience continues to remain elusive.
Disclaimer: The effects listed below are cited from the Subjective Effect Index (SEI), which relies on assorted anecdotal reports and the personal experiences of PsychonautWiki contributors. As a result, they should be taken with a healthy amount of skepticism. It is worth noting that these effects will not necessarily occur in a consistent or reliable manner, although higher doses (common+) are more likely to induce the full spectrum of reported effects. Likewise, adverse effects become much more likely on higher doses and may include serious injury or death.
- Stimulation - 2C-P is considered to be very energetic and stimulating in a fashion that is comparable to that of 2C-B, 2C-I and other substances within the 2C-x family, being encouraged instead of forced.
- Spontaneous bodily sensations - In comparison to 2C-E or 2C-B, the "body high" of 2C-P can be considered as mild although still capable of becoming very powerful and highly physically euphoric. It is similar yet distinct from the "body high" experienced on 2C-E, 2C-B, and LSD. The sensation itself can be described as intense and will manifest itself in the form of a continuously shifting tingling sensation that travels up and down the body in spontaneous waves. This is coupled by an equally intense yet slightly uncomfortable energetic pins and needles sensation that constantly encompasses a person’s entire body as well as a slight warm glow that manifests itself much less consistently than the other two physical components. All of these are capable of becoming very physically euphoric.
- Tactile enhancement - This effect is particularly prominent but capable of going in both pleasurable and uncomfortable directions. This can result in pleasurable tactile sensations but also enhances bodily aches and pains which one may not have previously been aware of to the point of extreme discomfort.
- Bodily control enhancement
- Temperature regulation suppression - 2C-P is reported to be able to cause large perceived increases and decreases in temperature in a dose dependent manner. This can become extremely uncomfortable if not dangerous at larger doses due to the fever-like delirium that is sometimes reported.
- Increased heart rate
- Increased blood pressure
- Nausea - Mild to extreme nausea is consistently reported when consumed in moderate to high dosages and either passes once the user has vomited or gradually fades by itself as the peak sets in.
- Increased libido - A common theme found in many 2C-P reports is the way in which it can heighten and enhance sexual arousal. When experienced, this sensation is not overwhelming or out of control but simply remains something that the user is constantly aware of. If sexual activities of any kind are engaged in, they are have been reported to be immensely more pleasurable than anything that can be achieved in a sober state.
- Pupil dilation
- Teeth grinding - A very common effect of 2C-P, and more pronounced with 2C-P than other 2C's or psychedelic substances in general. Can become very uncomfortable, especially with higher doses.
The cognitive effects of 2C-P have been described as both insightful and relatively normal in their thought processes up to moderate dosages, after which their confusing, and disorienting effects can increase considerably.
- Analysis enhancement
- Conceptual thinking
- Creativity enhancement
- Autonomous voice communication
- Emotion enhancement
- Immersion enhancement
- Increased music appreciation
- Memory suppression
- Multiple thought streams
- Novelty enhancement
- Personal bias suppression
- Personal meaning enhancement
- Thought acceleration
- Thought loops
- Time distortion
- Drifting (melting, flowing, breathing and morphing) - In comparison to other psychedelics, this effect can be described as highly detailed, slow and smooth in motion, static in appearance and unrealistic/cartoon-like in style.
- After images
- Symmetrical texture repetition
- Color shifting
- Scenery slicing
- Depth perception distortions
The visual geometry present can be described as being more similar in appearance to that of 4-AcO-DMT or ayahuasca than that of LSD, 2C-B or 2C-I. They can be comprehensively described as structured in their organization, organic in geometric style, intricate in complexity, large in size, fast and smooth in motion, colorful in scheme, glossy in color, sharp in their edges and equally rounded and angular in their corners. It gives off a contradictory natural and synthetic feel that at higher dosages are significantly more likely to result in states of Level 8B visual geometry over Level 8A. There seems to be visual geometry that is distinct from 2C-E, psilocin and ayahuasca and can be described as faster moving and more intense in proportion to cognitive and physical effects than 2C-E.
2C-P produces a full range of high level hallucinatory states in a fashion that is more consistent and reproducible than that of many other commonly used psychedelics. This holds particularly true in comparison to other 2C-x phenethylamines such as 2C-B or 2C-I. These effects include:
- Internal hallucination (autonomous entities; settings, sceneries, and landscapes; perspective hallucinations and scenarios and plots) - In comparison to other psychedelics such as LSD, 2C-P is extremely high in hallucinations embedded within visual geometry. This particular effect commonly contains hallucinations with scenarios, settings, concepts and autonomous entity contact. They are more common within dark environments and can be described as lucid in believability, interactive in style and almost exclusively of a personal, religious, spiritual, science-fiction, fantasy, surreal, nonsensical or transcendental nature in their overall theme.
- Unspeakable horrors - This is an effect that is typically associated with deliriants rather than psychedelics. Based on anecdotal reports, they only tend to occur at higher doses and are likely a result of the pronounced temperature increasing properties this substance has compared to other 2C-x and psychedelics, which can lend readily to delirium-like states.
2C-P is not scheduled under the UN Convention on Psychotropic Substances. It is considered to exist in a legal grey area in many countries, meaning that while it is not specifically illegal, individuals may still be charged for its possession under certain circumstances such as under analogue laws and with the intent to sell or consume.
- https://erowid.org/library/books_online/pihkal/pihkal.shtml | PiHKAL
- Morris, S. (2019, February 13). Bestival death may be world's first 2C-P fatality, court hears. Retrieved from https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2019/feb/13/bestival-death-may-be-worlds-first-2-cp-fatality-court-hears
- Talaie, H., Panahandeh, R., Fayaznouri, M. R., Asadi, Z., & Abdollahi, M. (2009). Dose-independent occurrence of seizure with tramadol. Journal of Medical Toxicology, 5(2), 63-67. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF03161089
- Controlled Drugs and Substances Act (S.C. 1996, c. 19) |http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/C-38.8/page-12.html#h-28
- "关于印发《非药用类麻醉药品和精神药品列管办法》的通知" (in Chinese). China Food and Drug Administration. 27 September 2015. Retrieved 1 October 2015.
- "Achtundzwanzigste Verordnung zur Änderung betäubungsmittelrechtlicher Vorschriften" (PDF) (in German). Bundesanzeiger Verlag. Retrieved December 10, 2019.
- "Anlage I BtMG" (in German). Bundesministerium der Justiz und für Verbraucherschutz. Retrieved December 10, 2019.
- "§ 29 BtMG" (in German). Bundesministerium der Justiz und für Verbraucherschutz. Retrieved December 10, 2019.
- Noteikumi par Latvijā kontrolējamajām narkotiskajām vielām, psihotropajām vielām un prekursoriem (2,5-Dimetoksifeniletānamīni) | http://likumi.lv/doc.php?id=121086
- United Kingdom. (1977). Misuse of Drugs Act 1971 (S.I. 1977/1243). London: The Stationery Office Limited. Retrieved July 5, 2017, from http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1977/1243/made
- 1717 CheMall OR054664
- 1717 CheMall OR134655
- ABI Chemicals AC2A0EEUE
- AKos AKOS023802093
- Angene AGN-PC-075IYB
- Aurora Fine Chemicals A30.300.940
- ChEMBL CHEMBL339136
- ChemIDplus 207740225
- EPA DSSTox DTXCID8097340
- FDA UNII - NLM DPS1JI878J
- NIST Spectra mainlib_379104
- Springer Nature Biotransformation and detectability of the designer drug 2,5-dimethoxy-4-propylphenethylamine (2C-P) studied in urine by GC-MS, LC-MS n , and LC-high-resolution-MS n
- Springer Nature Presentations due to acute toxicity of psychoactive substances in an urban emergency department in Switzerland: a case series
- Wikidata Q209262
- Wikipedia 2C-P
Information made possible with:
- PsychonautWiki is a community-driven online encyclopedia that aims to document the field of psychonautics in a comprehensive, scientifically-grounded manner.
- Erowid is a non-profit educational & harm-reduction resource with 60 thousand pages of online information about psychoactive drugs
- PubChem National Center for Bio Informatics
- Chemspider is a free chemical structure database providing fast access to over 34 million structures, properties and associated information.
Additional APIs were used to construct this information. Thanks for ChemSpider, NCBI, PubChem etc.
Data is constantly updated so please check back later to see if there is any more available information on this substance.