Psychedelic Research Chemicals or RC Chems are new synthetic substances which are structurally similar to the original drug, while being functional analogs. Data on their effects limited due as they’re fairly new and do not have a lot of human consumption history.
Psychedelics are substances (natural or laboratory made) which cause profound changes in a one’s perceptions of reality. While under the influence of hallucinogens, users might hallcuniate visually and auditorily.
This is an Experimental Substance with little data. This is most likely because the substance is is not very old. Information is limite and incomplete.
Disclaimer: Psychedelic drugs offer some of the most powerful and intense psychological experiences. Additionally these substances are illegal in many places. We understand that even though these substances are illegal, their use occurs frequently. We do not condone breaking of the law. By providing accurate information about these substances, we encourage the user to make responsible decisions and practice harm reduction.
TMA-2 Also known as:
phenyl)-2-propanami[ACD/IUPAC Name] ne
phényl)-2-propanami[French][ACD/IUPAC Name] ne
2,4,5-trimethoxy-α-[ACD/Index Name] methyl-
2,4,5-trimethoxy-α- methyl-, (±)-
- Phenethylamine, 2,4
- Phenethylamine, α-m
HETAMIN, >99% (HPLC)
- amphetamine, 2,4,5-
,4,5-trimethoxy-a-m ethyl-,hydrochlorid e (1:1)
- Phenethylamine, 2,4
- Phenethylamine, α-m
Trimethoxyamphetamine-2, a psychedelic amphetamine and stimulant first synthesised by Alexander Shulgin. An uncommon compound of similar activity to other psychedelic amphetamines. Short history of human use.
TMA-2 along with TMA-6 and others are members of the trimethoxylated family of phenethylamines. Members in this family been observed to produce a complex mixture of hallucinogenic, stimulant, psychedelic and entactogenic effects that qualitatively separates it from other psychedelic phenethylamine compounds like members of the 2C-x or DOx series. TMA-2 was first synthesized by Viktor Bruckner in 1933, but was not investigated as a psychoactive chemical until Alexander Shulgin synthesized and tested it in 1962.
Shulgin published his synthesis and initial research findings in a 1964 paper, describing the effects as similar to mescaline, though lacking in color effects, producing less nausea and prone to causing anxiety and restlessness. . There are occasional references to the use of TMA-2 in early 1970’s counter-culture publications, describing the drug as being rarely produced for sale and expensive in comparison to LSD.
This suggests that there was only very limited human usage of TMA-2 between its invention and the publication of its synthesis and pharmacology in Shulgin’s 1991 book PiHKAL (“Phenethylamines I Have Known And Loved”). Since then it has been regarded as an oddball and a novelty in the psychedelics community and is only occasionally sought after intentionally. In terms of its subjective effects, it is known for its lack of classic psychedelic visuals compared to its parent compound (mescaline) and is known instead for its instead a unique stimulating body-high and altered headspace that ranges from euphoric to dysphoric variably.
Anecdotal reports suggest that TMA-2 is a highly unpredictable and dose-sensitive substance that can produce uncomfortable amounts of body load, nausea, overstimulation, and inconsistencies between experiences. In modern times, TMA-2 is used as an obscure recreational drug and a occasional entheogen. It is rarely sold on the streets and is almost exclusively obtainable as a grey area research chemical through the use of online vendors.
Amphetamines are substituted phenethylamines, being comprised of a phenyl ring bound to an amino (NH2) group through an ethyl chain and a methyl group bound to the alpha carbon Rα.
TMA-2 contains methoxy functional groups CH3O- attached to carbons R2 and R4 and R5 of the amphetamine backbone.
|Avg. Mass||225.2842 Da|
|Monoisotopic Mass||225.13649 Da|
|TMA-2 Duration Data|
The cognitive effects of TMA-2 are described as powerful mental stimulation along with undertones of intoxication that can increase the connectivity and rate of conceptual thinking without being overwhelming. The total sum of these cognitive components regardless of the setting generally includes:
- Empathy, affection, and sociability enhancement - This component is consistently manifested only in the context of social settings in which one is within the company of others. These feelings of sociability, love and empathy are weaker and sharper than those found on substances such as MDMA and 2C-B, but still can elevate one's mood.
- Analysis enhancement
- Thought acceleration
- Time distortion
- Novelty enhancement
- Immersion enhancement
- Conceptual thinking
- Thought connectivity
- Emotion enhancement
- Increased music appreciation
- Personal bias suppression
- Memory suppression
- Increased libido
TMA-2’s psychedelic effects are believed to come from its efficacy at the 5-HT2A receptor as a partial agonist. However, the role of these interactions and how they result in the psychedelic experience continues to remain elusive.
- Stimulation - In terms of its effects on the physical energy levels of the user, TMA-2 is usually considered to be extremely stimulating at levels which do not become overwhelming, resulting in a shakiness and unsteadiness of the hands but encouraging one to move around, run, dance, climb and generally engage in physical activities. In comparison, other more commonly used psychedelics such as psilocin are generally sedating and relaxed.
- Spontaneous bodily sensations - The "body high" of TMA-2 is manifested as somewhat intense in comparison to most classical psychedelics such as LSD. The sensation itself can be described as a constantly present yet somewhat mild energetic pins and needles sensation that encompasses a person’s entire body. It is usually felt over every square inch of the skin, but occasionally manifests itself in the form of a continuously shifting tingling sensation that travels up and down the body in spontaneous waves.
- Tactile enhancement - Feelings of enhanced tactile sensation are consistently present at moderate levels throughout most TMA-2 trips.
- Nausea - Mild to extreme nausea is reported when consumed in moderate to high dosages and either passes once the person has vomited or gradually fades by itself as the peak sets in.
- Vasoconstriction - This effect is usually only present at higher dosages, but can be particularly uncomfortable.
- Bodily control enhancement
- Pupil dilation
- Increased blood pressure
- Drifting (melting, flowing, breathing and morphing) - In comparison to other psychedelics, this effect can be described as highly detailed, slow and smooth in motion, static in appearance and unrealistic/cartoon-like in style.
- After images
- Symmetrical texture repetition
- Colour shifting
- Bruckner, V. (1933), Über das Pseudonitrosit des Asarons. J. Prakt. Chem., 138: 268–274. doi:10.1002/prac.19331380907 | http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/prac.19331380907/abstract
- Shulgin, Alexander. "Pharmacology Lab Notes #1". Lafayette, CA. (1960-1976). p54 (Erowid.org) | https://erowid.org/library/books_online/shulgin_labbooks/shulgin_labbook1_searchable.pdf
- Shulgin, A.T. Experientia (1964) 20: 366. doi:10.1007/BF02147960 | https://erowid.org/archive/rhodium/chemistry/shulgin.meo-34-dialkoxyamphetamines.html
- 'Acidman'. "Straight Dope". Berkeley Tribe, December 18-25, 1970 p23 (Independent Voices) | http://voices.revealdigital.com/cgi-bin/independentvoices?a=d&d=BFBJFGJ19701218.1.23
- Lampe, Matt. "Dope-O-Scope". Ann Arbor Sun, November 12-25, 1971, p16 (Independent Voices) | http://voices.revealdigital.com/cgi-bin/independentvoices?a=d&d=BFBJFGJ19701218.1.23
- "Dreizehnte Verordnung zur Änderung betäubungsmittelrechtlicher Vorschriften" (in German). Bundesanzeiger Verlag. Retrieved December 11, 2019.
- "Anlage I BtMG" (in German). Bundesministerium der Justiz und für Verbraucherschutz. Retrieved December 11, 2019.
- "§ 29 BtMG" (in German). Bundesministerium der Justiz und für Verbraucherschutz. Retrieved December 11, 2019.
- 1717 CheMall OR141109
- 1717 CheMall OR243581
- ABI Chemicals AC1Q56BU
- American Custom Chemicals Corp CHM0007807
- Aurora Fine Chemicals A00.039.025
- Aurora Fine Chemicals K18.763.555
- BindingDB 50005253
- Cayman Chemical 11144
- Cayman Chemical 11144.0
- ChEMBL CHEMBL8389
- ChemIDplus 001083096
- ChemIDplus 022199151
- ChemIDplus 1083096
- ChemIDplus 22199151
- Chemspace CSC000293939
- DiscoveryGate 31014
- Erowid TMA-2
- FDA UNII - NLM 713Z3SL0TJ
- LabNetwork LN01326119
- LeadScope LS-103733
- MuseChem M067842
- NIST Chemistry WebBook 2758612054
- NIST Chemistry WebBook 833858007
- NIST Spectra mainlib_248108
- NIST Spectra replib_121419
- NIST Spectra replib_335072
- Parchem – fine & specialty chemicals 54602
- PubChem 31014
- PubMed 1475294
- PubMed 1494884
- PubMed 16810708
- PubMed 17223101
- PubMed 4685449
- PubMed 903913
- Rosewachem RW0167770
- Rosewachem RW036510
- Springer Nature An LCu2013MSu2013MS method for quantitative analysis of six trimethoxyamphetamine designer drugs in rat plasma, and its application to a pharmacokinetic study
- Springer Nature Cross-reactivities of 39 new amphetamine designer drugs on three abuse drugs urinary screening tests
- Springer Nature Cross-reactivities of 41 new amphetamine designer drugs to EMIT?? immunoassays
- Springer Nature Current status of hyphenated mass spectrometry in studies of the metabolism of drugs of abuse, including doping agents
- VulcanChem VC180411
- Wikipedia 2,4,5-trimethoxyamphetamine
Information made possible with:
- PsychonautWiki is a community-driven online encyclopedia that aims to document the field of psychonautics in a comprehensive, scientifically-grounded manner.
- Erowid is a non-profit educational & harm-reduction resource with 60 thousand pages of online information about psychoactive drugs
- PubChem National Center for Bio Informatics
- Chemspider is a free chemical structure database providing fast access to over 34 million structures, properties and associated information.
Additional APIs were used to construct this information. Thanks to ChemSpider, NCBI, PubChem etc.
Data is constantly updated so please check back later to see if there is any more available information on this substance.