Psychedelic Research Chemicals or RC Chems are new synthetic substances which are structurally similar to the original drug, while being functional analogs. Data on their effects limited due as they’re fairly new and do not have a lot of human consumption history.
Psychedelics are substances (natural or laboratory made) which cause profound changes in a one’s perceptions of reality. While under the influence of hallucinogens, users might hallcuniate visually and auditorily.
Disclaimer: Psychedelic drugs offer some of the most powerful and intense psychological experiences. Additionally these substances are illegal in many places. We understand that even though these substances are illegal, their use occurs frequently. We do not condone breaking of the law. By providing accurate information about these substances, we encourage the user to make responsible decisions and practice harm reduction.
αMT Also known as:
ine, α-methyl-[ACD/Index Name]
- Indole, 3- (2-amino
- INDOPAN, (-)-
- INDOPAN, (+)-
- 164 E
ine, α-methyl- (9CI)
-methyl-ethylamine (α-MeT, α-Methyltry ptamine)
ne free base
ne, free base
- Indole, 3-(2-aminop
- Indole, 3-(2-aminop
- It-290 (dl)
- It-403 (D)
- NL 4555000
- Ro 3-0926
- Tryptamine, α-methyl
- tryptamine, α-methy
- U 14 (VAN)
- U 14164 E
- u-14164e (dl)
- WLN: T56 BMJ D1YZ1
A long-acting psychedelic-empathogen with a broad method of action in the brain. Not suitable for combination with many other substances. Used as an anti-depressant in the Soviet Union, but later found popularity in the RC scene, mainly in the UK.
αMT was originally developed by Upjohn in the 1960s. It was briefly used in the Soviet Union as an antidepressant under the trade name Indopan. Indopan was prescribed in 5-10 mg doses, which is significantly lower than the dose used for recreational effects.
Erowid has received “a handful of unverifiable reports of hospitalization after high-dose (over 60 mg oral) αMT ingestion. " There were 22 deaths linked to αMT in England and Wales where the drug became popular as a legal high from 2012 until it was banned in early 2015. Limited data exists about the pharmacological properties, metabolism, and toxicity of aMT, and it has a limited history of non-medical human use.
It is highly advised to use harm reduction practices if using this substance.
Tryptamines share a core structure comprised of a bicyclic indole heterocycle attached at R3 to an amino group via an ethyl side chain.
AMT is substituted at the alpha carbon Rα of its tryptamine backbone with a methyl group. AMT is found in freebase form as a racemate of its (R-) and (S-) enantiomers.
|Avg. Mass||174.2423 Da|
|Monoisotopic Mass||174.115692 Da|
|αMT Duration Data|
- Cannabis has an unexpectedly strong and somewhat unpredictable synergy with psychedelics. Small amounts can reduce nausea with aMT but take care.
- High doses of caffeine may cause anxiety which is less manageable when tripping, and since both are stimulating the combination may cause some physical discomfort.
- aMT has a broad mechanism of action in the brain and so does alcohol so the combination can be unpredictable
- No unexpected interactions
- Erowid Online Books : TIHKAL - #48 a-MT | http://www.erowid.org/library/books_online/tihkal/tihkal48.shtml
- US Patent 3296072 - Method of Treating Mental Depression
- AMT's TiHKAL entry by Alexander Shulgin (IsomerDesign) https://isomerdesign.com/PiHKAL/read.php?domain=tk&id=48
- Donald G. Barceloux (20 March 2012). Medical Toxicology of Drug Abuse: Synthesized Chemicals and Psychoactive Plants. John Wiley & Sons. pp. 196–. 978-0-471-72760-6.
- Leslie Iversen (11 November 2013). Handbook of Psychopharmacology: Volume 14 Affective Disorders: Drug Actions in Animals and Man. Springer Science & Business Media. pp. 132–. 978-1-4613-4045-4.
- Biological Research on Addiction: Comprehensive Addictive Behaviors and Disorders. Academic Press. 17 May 2013. pp. 632–. 978-0-12-398360-2.
- AMT (Alphamethyltryptamine, IT-290) Fatalities / Deaths by Erowid | https://www.erowid.org/chemicals/amt/amt_death.shtml
- Deaths Related to Drug Poisoning, England and Wales, 2016 release (table 8) | https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/birthsdeathsandmarriages/deaths/datasets/deathsrelatedtodrugpoisoningenglandandwalesreferencetable
- The effects of non-medically used psychoactive drugs on monoamine neurotransmission in rat brain | http://linkinghub.elsevier.com/retrieve/pii/S0014-2999(06)01381-1
- In vitro screening of psychoactive drugs by [(35)S]GTPgammaS binding in rat brain membranes | https://www.jstage.jst.go.jp/article/bpb/30/12/30_12_2328/_article
- Studies of Monoamine Oxidase and Semicarbazide-Sensitive Amine Oxidase II. Inhibition by α-Methylated Substrate-Analogue Monoamines, α-Methyltryptamine, α-Methylbenzylamine and Two Enantiomers of α-Methylbenzylamine | https://www.jstage.jst.go.jp/article/jphs1951/41/2/41_2_191/_article
- THE EFFECT OF THREE TRYPTAMINE DERIVATIVES ON SEROTONIN METABOLISM IN VITRO AND IN VIVO | http://jpet.aspetjournals.org/content/127/2/110.short
- Boland DM, Andollo W, Hime GW, Hearn WL. “Fatality due to acute alpha-methyltryptamine intoxication”. J Anal Toxicol. 2005 Jul-Aug;29(5):394-7. | https://www.erowid.org/references/refs_view.php?ID=6603
- Reduction in brain serotonin markers by α-ethyltryptamine (Monase) (ScienceDirect) | http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/001429999190686K
- Monoamine oxidase inhibitors, opioid analgesics and serotonin toxicity | http://bja.oxfordjournals.org/content/95/4/434
- CSDA | http://isomerdesign.com/Cdsa/schedule.php?structure=C
- "Vierte Verordnung zur Änderung betäubungsmittelrechtlicher Vorschriften" (in German). Bundesanzeiger Verlag. Retrieved December 10, 2019.
- "Anlage I BtMG" (in German). Bundesministerium der Justiz und für Verbraucherschutz. Retrieved December 10, 2019.
- "§ 29 BtMG" (in German). Bundesministerium der Justiz und für Verbraucherschutz. Retrieved December 10, 2019.
- Noteikumi par Latvijā kontrolējamajām narkotiskajām vielām, psihotropajām vielām un prekursoriem (Triptamīni) | http://likumi.lv/doc.php?id=121086
- Svensk författningssamling Förordning om ändring i förordningen (1999:58) om förbud mot vissa hälsofarliga varor | http://www.notisum.se/rnp/sls/sfs/20050026.pdf
- Misuse of Drugs Act 1971 (Legislation.gov.uk) |http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1971/38/schedule/2/part/I#reference-M_F_c7632653-ddad-4420-f307-e3da1e36d30e
- Drug Enforcement Administration | http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:http://www.deadiversion.usdoj.gov/drug_chem_info/amt.pdf
Information made possible with:
- PsychonautWiki is a community-driven online encyclopedia that aims to document the field of psychonautics in a comprehensive, scientifically-grounded manner.
- Erowid is a non-profit educational & harm-reduction resource with 60 thousand pages of online information about psychoactive drugs
- PubChem National Center for Bio Informatics
- Chemspider is a free chemical structure database providing fast access to over 34 million structures, properties and associated information.
Additional APIs were used to construct this information. Thanks to ChemSpider, NCBI, PubChem etc.
Data is constantly updated so please check back later to see if there is any more available information on this substance.